Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Redeeming Love


I was excited when I was asked to choose any WaterBrook Multnomah title I have read and post a review. One of my favorite books of all time is Redeeming Love by
Francine Rivers. I'm sure it would make my top ten list! Even though I haven't read it in years , I still remember this story of God's enduring patience and grace.
The book is set in the 1850's of gold crazed California. Angel is sold into prostitution as a young girl and attempts to protect her heart by shutting down her emotions. Angel hides her real name as her own secret treasure . The fact that she learns to hate men is quite understandable. When she meets Michael Hosea he simply sits and talks to Angel. She is confused by his lack of ardor and uses scorn to guard herself. Michael, obeying God, marries Angel to protect her from further abuse and shows her unconditional love. After much prayer, he hears God tell him to "Feed my sheep". Michael sees what needs he has failed to meet in Angel and tries even harder to show his love.
As Angel begins to feel herself relax and trust Michael, she is hit with fear and overwhelming feelings of inadequacy and flees. Can she ever give the ultimate gift - the sharing of her real name, her trust? Her healing and ability to feel loved must ultimately come from God.
Redeeming Love is based upon the book of Hosea and is a wonderful picture of God's unconditional love. I must find my book and read it again soon!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

My favorite Francine Rivers novel ever!