Thursday, January 8, 2009

You know it's true love when....

...He chooses YOUR favorite meal for HIS birthday! So, tonight Mark had meatloaf, black eyed peas (his choice) and salad. Then - HIS FAVORITE- coconut pie for his birthday "cake".
Happy Birthday Mark!! I love you!
Mom's Coconut Pie:
Pie Crust
1/3 heaping cup shortening
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
cold water
Cut shortening into flour and salt and add cold water to correct consistency. Roll out and bake.
Pie Filling
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 egg yolks
4 Tbsp. corn starch
3 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Cook until thickened and pour into cooked crust.
Meringue
Beat 3 egg whites
with 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar and
1/4 cup sugar
Bake until golden brown.

3 comments:

Becky Dietz said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARK!!!!! Sounds like it was a good one!

amy wright said...

Happy Birthday, Mark.
Maybe I should get your meatloaf recipe. Jay loves it, but I lose my appetite when I make it. haha

Anonymous said...

Happy 'belated' birthday to Mark!

The 'only' kind of pie that Darrell likes is chocolate creme. I can make a lot of things but creme pies with merange is not one of them! Poor Darrell!