Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mom's Bread

One of my favorite memories is coming home from school as a little girl smelling all the good things Mom had cooking. Cookies, food for supper, pies and more would all fill the kitchen with wonderful aromas. One of my favorites of all was (and still is!) her bread. I finally went to her house one day several months ago to make some with her and made her measure all the ingredients. So, here's one of my favorite, treasured recipes:

Mom's Rolls
1 Tbsp. yeast
2/3 cup warm water
3 cups warm milk
1 egg
1 Tbsp. salt
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
7 1/2 cups flour
Dissolve yeast in 2/3 cup warm water.
Add yeast mixture, egg, salt, oil and sugar to the milk. Mix and add flour to make thick sticky dough (about 7 1/2 cups). Mix and Knead. Let rise in warm place. After doubled (or more), punch down and knead again. Form into rolls or loaf. Allow to rise and then bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes.
She makes it look so easy, but mine still don't measure up to hers!

3 comments:

Becky Dietz said...

I'll let you perfect this recipe...and I'll eat it.

Sandra said...

I think Bob bakes too - maybe he'll get it down and we'll both eat it!

amy wright said...

Mom, have you ever read The Little Red Hen? haha