Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

My memories of sweet potatoes were of an opened can of candied yams with added brown sugar and marshmallows on top.  The traditional Thanksgiving side dish that everyone (but picky me!) loved.  I thought they were slimy and even the marshmallows didn't make them appealing to this sugar lover.  But my husband LOVES sweet potatoes.  In an attempt to learn to eat this root vegetable, I began roasting them and discovered I like them too!  I just peeled and diced sweet potatoes, topped with a little  oil, salt and pepper baked in a hot oven and suddenly I was hooked.  But my husband wasn't satisfied, he wanted baked sweet potatoes, thank you very much.  So, in an attempt to learn to eat them baked, I came up with this recipe adapted from the Cookin' Canuk's Turkey Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.  I still prefer the roasted variety, but these may just become a regular in our house.  


 Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes


  • 3 medium sweet potatoes
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin, divided
  •  salt to taste
  • ground pepper to taste
  • 1/4 up to 1/2 cup grated pepper Jack or Mexican blend cheese 
  • 1 lb. lean ground turkey or beef
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 to 1 cup pinto beans (optional, I had some left-overs to use up) 
  • 1 10 oz. can Rotel Mexican Lime and cilantro diced tomatoes

Clean and wrap sweet potatoes in foil.  Cook in lined slow cooker on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours or bake in oven or microwave until soft.  Cool potatoes enough to handle.  Cut potatoes in half and scoop flesh out of potato, reserving skin.  Mash potato flesh slightly with fork and add oil, 1/2 tsp. cumin (or to taste), salt, pepper, and cheese.  Divide among the reserved skins and place in a foil lined cookie sheet.  Brown meat with onion and green pepper and drain off any grease.  Add salt, pepper, remaining cumin powder, garlic, chili powder, beans and Rotel.  Cook until warm and garlic is soft.  Spoon meat mixture on top of each potato, top with additional cheese.  Broil until cheese is melted.  

No comments: