Thursday, December 18, 2008

Celebrate!

“I bring you good news of GREAT JOY that will be for all the people.” Luke 2:10 (NIV)

Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth; break forth in song, rejoice, and sing praises. Psalm 98:4

Joy is one of the focus topics of Christ's coming into the world! Rejoice! - Is that a command??

I have an opinion about parties: I think that God loves them! (DUH!)
In fact, the Bible tells us that they "throw" a party in heaven everytime someone turns to God. There is celebration in heaven!

As I've heard people talking about Chritmas and their plans, I've heard an attitude of "I've got to get through this" or "I've got too much to do!" I know I'm guilty of this. I get so caught up in what has to be done that I lose sight of the joy of the season. I feel like I need some ideas on how to celebrate this year - to really enjoy the season.

So, tell me, what are you doing to REALLY celebrate this Christmas?

5 comments:

Becky Dietz said...

I LOVE a party with my friends! I love going or hosting. But it's the obligatory parties that people expect us to be at as staff that get me down. But since I changed my attitude after Amy challenged me, it's been better.
What am I doing to celebrate? Giving.

amy wright said...

Focusing on Christ through Advent. It has made such a difference in our family life and it makes such a difference on Christmas Day. I wish that I would have understood it a long time ago.
Also, we've just made our family a priority instead of other people. We haven't felt obligated to do anything that doesn't fit our family (and a lot doesn't fit us since we still have a baby).
What about you?

Lindsey said...

We've (finally, after 4 years of discussion) decided that we aren't going to teach our kids about Santa. We want to put the focus back on Jesus. We haven't been to any Christmas parties, which has been a little hard for this sanguin, but it's been nice to be able to spend our evenings together, reading books about Jesus' birth, baking Christmas cookies, and watching different Christmas movies. This has been a weird year, but I like that it's more simplified with fewer obligations.

Julie Simmons said...

Since you love comments, I'm just "popping" in to say that you have a beautiful blog!

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have been better at starting family traditions. I'm not sure what my kids will remember about their growing-up years. I don't remember alot about mine and I think traditions, however small, would have helped. I feel like I'm celebrating and worshiping this year on a personal level because of things I've dealt with this year with some nonbelieving loved ones. Those things have drawn me closer to the Lord and I've been reading the Word daily. I love teaching my 3rd & 4th grade Sunday School class about the real reason for Christmas. But, now that I think about it, I haven't even thought about helping my family celebrate it! They're getting big, the boys 17-Gracie 11, it changes the family dynamics! Plus, the guys are working so hard to get in the cotton crop, it's more of a season of work for them than one of celebration!

So, we celebrate doing what we do all year! Going to church, getting together with family and friends, giving, getting to know God better and better!

The thing about Christmas that I never want to end is the music! I can never get enough!