Sunday, December 21, 2008

A peace of my mind

Note: This was written at 2 a.m. so if it makes no sense at all, you know why! If you ever see me with a caffeine drink, do me a favor and pry it out of my hands!!

Philippians 2:5-11 " Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus"... one commentator said that this should actually read :"In your relationships with one another, have the same attitude of mind Christ Jesus had/has." I'm not supposed to simply imitate Christ in what I DO, but to actually have the same mind set and attitudes of Christ . What would happen to our world if the church, IF I, obeyed this verse in totality? Verse 6 tells us that Jesus didn't exploit or use His son ship to God for His own advantage. Instead of glory He chose to make himself like nothing, He took on all of the limitations of being human (including being a baby - dirty diapers and all!) to help others - to help me! Instead of grasping to be seen as equal to God, He chose to take the role of a slave. Remember how he willingly washed the disciple's feet? (John 13) He didn't live in pride but in humbleness with a servant's heart. The result? Eventually EVERY knee will bow and tongue confess - God has and will give Christ the highest honor.

What if, instead of giving people "a piece of my mind", I strive to help them have a "PEACE of mind"? What if I had Christ's attitude and mind set?

Father,
Renew my mind! Develop in me a Christ-like attitude and mind set. Help me to see others as You see them.

1 comment:

Becky Dietz said...

Oh great! No more piece of my mind? But I know that one so well! Ok...turn about's fair play...sigh.