Saturday, September 18, 2010

Love's First Bloom

This is the second book of Delia Parr's that I've had the opportunity to review. I love her writing style. I must say that I enjoyed this book from the cover picture to the very end. Having goose feathers for a weapon, using brooms to celebrate July 4th and an annoying pet turkey are a few examples of Mrs. Parr's creativity in her newest book, Love's First Bloom.

The story begins as Ruth's father places a baby in her arms with explicit instructions that she must change her identity and board the ship headed to a small community in New Jersey. She must make some big, life-changing decisions and learn how to discern whom to trust along the way. The two innocent victims of scandal, Ruth and the baby Lily, find refuge in the home of a kind, loving couple living near Toms River.

Ruth obediently and tirelessly cares for the child left in her care. Discouraged and grieving, Ruth begins to seek God as she tends an abandoned garden at the banks of the river. She meets Jake Spencer, a man she believes to be injured and in need of her help. Ruth begins to trust Jake and wonders if he can help her protect Lily from harm. How will Ruth react when she discovers that Jake is actually one of the newspapermen intent upon marring her good name?

This book points out the dangers of media telling all and destroying innocent lives in the process. It is an easy and enjoyable read. I have 2 more Bethany House books to review this month so be looking for more to come.


Thank you to Bethany House for providing this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments: